Saturday, November 13, 2010

As The Train Leaves The Station

18 Nov marks the end of the module with the submission of the blog self-assessment form, and incidentally, it is the eve of Christmas eve. After that, all of us will probably depart on our separate ways, just like trains leaving the station. A consolation, however, is that sometime down the rail, we are bound to meet(and hopefully catch up).

Through the journey of 13 weeks, I am proud to declare that I have learnt(and not simply reproduced hard knowledge), and it is the most enjoyable module that I had. I had had the privilege and honour with working with everyone in class, from the peer teaching group, to the mock interview and class discussion groups, and finally the proposal group. I started to appreciate the difference and qualities of different individuals. It is almost like clockwork, where there are quartz needed for internal lubrication and metal for external protection; the tensioned spring needed for driving the clock and the dynamic gears for coordinate the hands. We have tech-savvy Yongxin who looks at the big picture, and interactive Jonathan who looks at the fine details. We also have forthright Yong Chean, and reserved May (and of course, our brilliant maverick Brad). It is virtually a jewel box, and it is indeed a beauty when you can appreciate the different qualities of the individual gems. =)
Sentiments apart, the module empowered me, with not only communication skills, but collaboration skills. The exercises and assignments(which you guys/gals know very well already) played their roles well, and allowed us to hone our abilites to both write and listen actively--hallmarks of effective communication and colloboration.

The most impressionable point the adopting of a "You-Attitude". Just like how the points must connect to the greater purpose in the communication, the communication itself should connect to the correspondent. I failed that once in that in my first cover letter, and in light of the suggestions and comments (Thanks Yong Chean and Brad!), I managed to write a better draft for the mock interview. The importance of the You-Attitude surfaced again during the oral presentation. While I might have connected verbally with the audience, the You-Atttitude did not manifest in my non-verbals. I was standing in the dark, and mentally I had not psyche to connect with the audience emotionally. As a result, I lost a connection with the audience on that level. However, I was glad that the course exposed me to such a challenge, initiate an "immune response", where the exposure allows me to work against the problem and be eventually able overcome it in the future. This would definitely be an aspect I will work on.

The un-(but soon to be)-conventional assignments such as blogging and wiki writing were refreshing in that it also provided media for off-class interactions. The blog was an innovative and apt method to demonstrate key principles of communication-- currency and intereactivity. Quoting Brad, who said that the best thing about blogging is that it is not cast in stone, the fact that we could edit and update the blogs is truly a merit. It allows the communication channel stay current and responsive.

On the other hand, I felt the wiki required some improvements before it can become mainstream. The interface, for a start, was unattractive. But, what I thought was damning was that a great injustice was done when the promotion of wiki had not played to its advantages.
In the exercises, wiki was projected to replace current collaborative platforms such as Google Doc as a superior platform. However, the lack of real-time editting impede such success. Currency is an important principle underlying collaboration(and communication), and the currency offered by wiki was not up to par with real-time programmes. However, I believe there can more creative uses to wiki, such as as a presentation aid. 
Regardless, it was a good gambit to include the e-portfolio as part of the assessment, as it would expose students to not just conventional communication, but also newer communication routes via the internet.

Just as the tides come and go, this old train goes and new trains will come; it carries off a crowd, so that the new trains can bring in a fresh new wave. And someday, rails may meet and the trains will end up in the same stations.
All the best guys!

EDITED

13 comments:

  1. Well as the saying goes ‘the old has to go to make way for the new’. This is definitely not goodbye like you said. We’re all just trains taking a different route. I think your post sums up the events that unfolded over the past 13 weeks very succinctly. Although i think it’ll be a while more before the wiki is fully embraced. haha... especially after the feedback survey. I of course might be the only one though.. :) In any case it has truly been an honor getting to know you (its always good to know a pharmacist right?) and hopefully we’ll meet again in the future. All the best for you exams. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on surviving the week Wee Boon. A very nice post you have here using appropriate analogy to describe the people, to describe the situation. A short and concise blog post but as Daniel says, "your post sums up the events that unfolded over the past 13 weeks very succinctly" which i have to agree. We may have departed ES2007S but I am sure 1 day our paths will cross again. All the best for your exam and you shall always be remembered as the licensed drug dealer. =)

    Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys!
    Well, we will all be hanging around the Sci/Eng for at least a year more, so I believe we will see each other every now and then. If that doesn't happen, we can always organize an get-together or something!(wide-eyes at yongxin). By the way, I think someone had recommended a short trip to M'sia, which I think is quite a good idea! =)
    Regardless, it was my honour to have worked with you amazing guys. Cheers!(*clink*)

    P.S. While I love to meet you guys and catch up some time down the road, I definitely would not hope to see you as a pharmacist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Wee Boon, for this heart-felt review. I like the way you use departing trains as a metaphor for the way we have all come together (in the station) and now head off in our own directions. You must have been inspired because you also use the metaphor of clockwork to demonstrate how each one of us has had his/her own part to play within the classroom dynamics. Both seem like apt descriptions.

    I'm further intrigued by your analysis of the Internet-based platforms, although I'm not sure what you mean when you state "a great injustice was done when the promotion of wiki had not played to its advantages." Some details, or at least an explanation, might have helped illustrate this.

    As for your learning, I see that you valued the exercises and assignments. What I'd still like to know though is how you view your skills development. Do you think our CAs helped facilitate your learning?

    Of course, from my side that's really a rhetorical question. As you and your teammates completed your OP, there was so much evidence of effort and learning that beyond a doubt we have covered lots of "development" ground since embarking on this journey 13 weeks ago. I really appreciate all your contributions.

    Best of luck in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wee Boon, although at first your metaphor about trains and clockwork seemed a little whimsical to me, after some deliberation and recalling the Hollywood movies I've watched, I can appreciate why you feel this way..

    Similar to you, I benefited from the collaboration skills, but the wiki wasn't something I really enjoyed using because of its shortfalls.

    Your blog post is concise, courteous and considerate, but a little more concrete details on specific aspects of how you have written and listened actively would have been better! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. while i would absolutely love to meet up with you guys in school im going on IA next sem!! :( so school only in the evening.. so can stay back to meet up yah.. haha!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey man,

    You know when I read your this post, it was so your voice; with the certain jargon/words that only you would use, the way you craft your sentences etc.

    I totally agree with you on the wiki part. Seriously, wiki could be better. I wished Mac would come out with their own wiki platform. It would look FANTASTIC, I daresay.

    You know, peeps, I have worked with WeeBoon in our peer teaching. It was a short duration relatively, but do you guys ever notice, WeeBoon is just too much a decent guy?

    I have tried and failed to get much 'crap' out of weeboon (and mind you, Daniel offers it like free money.) You can see it in his writings, in his speech that it was just nice and right. Rational, politically correct yet personal, pleasant and firm.

    Especially this final post, I think WeeBoon pull out all stops; currency, tide, train, surface,etc.

    I think this is a very well written post.

    And WeeBoon, you are always so busy, you should cut down on your commitment a bit man, you must so come to our post-exam buffet! (Ignore Brad)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey hey... since when was being honest, candid and outspoken frowned upon.. haha!! >o<

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Weeboon,
    I think this is perhaps your best post so far. The use of metaphors to describe your feelings and bring your point across really impresses me. It was like what Yongxin said, just nice and right. Perhaps this is something which I can learn from you. I do agree that the biggest challenge of communication is perhaps the "you-attitude". However, I believe that it comes with increased personal experience and knowledge in a field. It has been great working with you, and if you ever need any tips with regards to overcoming negative or nervous emotions, I can always share some tips with you. After all, I have been on the 'shy and nervous' side for many years, and I'm still fighting it.

    Here's a great quote for you,

    My favorite definition of fearlessness is this:
    the ability to remain soft and open,
    even under very difficult circumstances.
    We just want to get away, but the quickest way out is to stay.
    If you can slow down a bit, you can see that fear rises, abides and dissolves on its own. Allowing this process is the mark of the spiritual warrior. The coward turns attention toward fighting fear; the warrior accommodates it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Yong Xin:
    I am, by professional default, a no-nonsense person. Apparently, that shows in my presentations and even mundane conversations;but you have overrated me for being nice and right. Of course, hidden away at the dark corner of my heart, I have a acid spewing evil twin; in the bid to uphold professionalism, it is kept sedated. =P
    Perhaps my hermit nature is responsible for the low interaction output (e.g. small talk, crapping, joking around) and the disappearing acts. Frankly, for this semester, I did end up overloading myself with commitments. In fact, it was the heaviest ever with the multiple groups of tuition and the part-time stint at the pharmacy(on top of the pharmacy syllabus), and I was bordering on breakdown. Thankfully, it all went all right in the end, and the compromises were still within survival range. No matter, I learnt my lesson. Next time, I'd be nicer to myself and not take up too much, lest I compromise work quality again. Thanks dude! ;)

    @Wei Ping:
    Thanks for the offer dude! It was my honour to have worked with you. Despite being a year your senior, I have learnt much from you, especially on emotional management and perspectives on dealing with problems. While perhaps your techniques have yet fully matured, you do show great prospect, which I so envy.

    Last but not least guys, thanks for the working experience both in class and in the peer teaching group. I have learnt much and enjoyed myself in the process. I'd definitely look forward to collaborating again in the near future! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, finally, some crap! Breakthrough! Professional grade crap!

    LOL

    Yea man, you are like tutoring everyday! Don't do that to your gf man. Or you won't last long. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reserved, huh? Hehe. You should get to know me better. :P

    You really have a way with words, Wee Boon. You should consider being a writer. Seriously.

    I agree about the "You" attitude. That is something new I learnt in this module, as well.

    You are a no-nonsense guy, like Yongxin said, but it can be kind of refreshing. It makes you stand out in a way, so you don't have to change. In the meantime, I will be on the look out for your evil twin...

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Yong Xin
    Err.. i'm not sure if I'm getting your point but i trust you know best what is crap, or otherwise. =)

    @May
    My description of reserved has a invisible qualifier before it. I think you are usually reserved, but not always so, and I'm sure you do flare with initiative and activity when the occasion calls ;)

    ReplyDelete